Friday, November 2, 2012

Off to the races.....

Fall is in full swing across the country and here in Central Texas, for me, that means race season is here.  Don't get me wrong, you can find a race just about any weekend of the year in this area but I personally take my annual "break" during the hot and steamy summers.  While the rest of the country seems to be hunkering down and preparing for the cold months I am just starting to get my running legs back under me and out on the trail. This month's edition of Competitor magazine has countless articles on the "winter break" and with the NYC Marathon set for this month (conditions permitting this year) it's clear that most of the community is preparing for their BIG 2012 finish.  Not me, we're just getting started!

So what are my plans for the fall/winter season?  Well, I kicked off season with a 5k and a 5 mile race in October (with 2nd and 3rd place finishes respectively) and November will bring the ubiquitous Turkey Trot.  But the height of my training and focus will be on the Half Marathon I have committed to in December and with any luck a 30k in January.  Just putting those commitments in writing here has me feeling inspired, how about you?

I'll keep you posted on my progress along with a few quips and anecdotes along the way from my 3 daughters (the eldest, who is 4, started her racing career this season).  There are sure to be lumpy days, times when I just feel like a lump of coal, but with my sights set on a little more "hardware" for the trophy wall I'm feeling up to the challenge.

Lets lace up and get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment