Monday, December 10, 2012

Yoga Monday-Half Lord of the Fishes

Running seems to provide me with a place of therapy both physically and mentally but I find it impossible and irresponsible to spend all my time running.  I know that to get the most benefit out of my running legs I must train and work my entire body.  Enter yoga.  For me yoga is the second best thing to running for my conditioning.  While aerobically, yoga is less intense than running or cross-training it is none the less effective at working and strengthening my body.  Beyond the strength and flexibility that yoga provides me it also gives me mental conditioning like nothing else.  Since yoga is centered around self-awareness and present-self, it is very effective for keeping me rounded in the midst of my long-term competitive goals.  In my yoga practice I seek to find my own grace and calm; two items that have proven beyond valuable as a mommy to three very active and often strong willed daughters!  So with that I am planning to post a yoga pose every Monday to provide inspiration for the week.


Week 1: Yoga Monday

Half Lord of the Fishes (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
I personally love this pose because it gives a nice stretch in the thigh/buttock area (often tight and sore from running) while also wringing out your insides with the twist allowing fresh blood and oxygen into your core region.  


Step by step instruction provided here by www.yogajournal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment