Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Recipe for Chocolate Milk

Since chocolate milk now seems to have a cult following among fitness enthousists and children alike you can imagine that it is typically a staple in my fridge.  While I know the ratio of sugar, protein and carbohydrates make this drink ideal for post work out recovery and the taste makes it yummy but the ingredients in some of the store bought versions are well, yucky!
I did a little research and found plenty of recipes online for making my own version but they either required too much sugar or some other ingredient that was not a staple in my house.  So I smashed a few recipes together and came up with the one below.  It's been a hit at my house and since the syrup recipe makes so much I can make it once and get 2 gallons of milk out of it or several hundred swirls of chocolate sundae syrup.

Chocolate Syrup:

1 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 c. water
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Stir the sugar and cocoa together in a saucepan over low/medium heat and whisk in the water.  Continue heating and whisking until it boils and for 1 additional minute after.  Stir in salt, cinnamon and vanilla then let the syrup cool.  Once cooled pour into a jar and use as chocolate syrup for chocolate milk, ice cream sundaes, milkshakes, coffee, whatever floats your boat!

Chocolate Milk:
1-2 Tbs Chocolate syrup
8oz milk
Shake rattle & roll.

I like to expand on this recipe and make a gallon at a time.  I pour the milk into a large bowl and eyeball about half the syrup from the above recipe then use an emersion blender to whiz the whole thing up.  Getting the milk back into the jug can be a challenge but a funnel helps.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment